Save 33% OFF on Media Temple today
Why should you choose Media Temple?
Pioneer of Cloud Hosting
Uptime Guarantee of 99.999%
30 day File Backup & Restore
Save 33%. Get Started Now.
Media Temple also known as (mt) is a premium web hosting company that the experts in the hosting niche look up to as the standard to which web hosts should be set. The company has been an innovator in cloud hosting services and has always remained ahead of the technology curve.
It was started in 1998 by Demian Sellfors and John Carey as Intergress Technologies (a digital business company). Later in 1999, it was merged with one of its clients Media Temple and maintained the brand name Media Temple since then. The company is headed by Rod Stoddard as the President and headquartered at Culver City, California.
In the last 17 years of operation, Media Temple has become a very popular web host with more than 125,000 customers by its side and hosts over 1.5 million websites in 100 different countries across the globe.
Media Temple was acquired by GoDaddy in October 2013 but continues to operate as a separate business staffed by nearly 250 employees. GoDaddy decided to invest in and accelerate MTs growth, but continue it as a standalone brand.
The customer list of Media Temple boasts of big brands like Samsung, Adobe, jQuery, Adidas, Starbucks, Sony, Toyota, NBC, The Wall Street Journal, Vogue and Volkswagen. Apart from big businesses, several web developers, professional bloggers and small to medium sized entrepreneurs trust MediaTemple for hosting their websites and apps.
Media Temple Hosting Services
Media Temple offers a wide slew of hosting services that fit each webmaster’s needs – shared cloud hosting, VPS hosting, dedicated servers, managed wordpress hosting, even a private cloud server.
Media Temple is credited for building the web’s first public cloud service, the Grid, which uses a cluster of servers to manage customer websites instead of a single server. This grid hosting is sold by the company as its version of shared hosting and is much more powerful and advanced than regular shared hosting service offered by other web hosts in the market. This type of grid architecture handles spikes in traffic very easily, is more scalable and delivers great performance in terms of speed and uptime.
Media Temple Grid uses ultra fast SSD storage for both website files and database, comes with 30 day automatic backups, global CDN and 1-click application installs. Also the OS updates and malware scans are handled by the company.
You have the option of choosing from three grid plans:
- PRO – This is the basic plan that allows you to host up to 10 websites and comes with 20GB SSD storage and 1TB bandwidth. 1 Google Apps for work email account, 1 site global CDN and malware detection is provided for free.
- AGENCY – This plan has a provision for 100GB storage, 5TB bandwidth and can host a maximum of 50 sites. You can use 5 Google Apps for work email accounts with a total of 5 websites covered for malware protection and CDN free of charge.
- AGENCY + – This is the highest plan under Grid hosting. All features and capabilities are similar to that in Agency plan with an additional set of managed services by CloudTech. These include priority support, 3 monthly on-demand credits, setup assistance and personal consultation.
The above 3 shared grid plans are priced at $30/mo, $150/mo and $350/mo respectively. But if you choose a yearly plan, you get 2 months of service free. Similarly with 2 year and 3 year plans, you get 5 months and 9 months of service discount respectively.
Media Temple has introduced an interesting concept of resource boosters. If you need more resources for your website but do not want to upgrade to the next service level, you can add a resource boost to you current plan for a fixed monthly fee.
- Single Boost – It costs $30/mo and adds 10 sites, 10GB storage and 1TB bandwidth limit to your current plan
- Double Boost – It costs $60/mo and adds 20 sites, 20GB storage and 2TB bandwidth limit to your current plan
- Triple Boost – It costs $90/mo and adds 30 sites, 30GB storage and 3TB bandwidth limit to your current plan
Media Temple Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting solutions have everyone requiring powerful server configurations covered.
- Self-Managed VPS – If you are a Linux expert and would not mind getting your hands dirty, Media Temple offers self-managed VPS, called DV Developer, which is pure raw Linux machine with full command line access. It does not include any control panel and customer is on their own to install and update any software. This service starts at $30 per month and goes up to $1000/mo depending on the plan you choose from the 6 server configurations available.
- Managed VPS – This VPS service, called DV, comes with a control panel to manage the hosting environment. It can scale up and down instantly according to your website requirements and includes a set of managed services like performance monitoring, automatic backups, malware scan and removal etc. This partially managed VPS service starts at $55 per month and comes with a choice of Plesk or cPanel control panels. There are 6 different plans based on RAM, storage and bandwidth configurations.
- Fully Managed VPS – The fully managed VPS service is for those customers who don’t want to bother with the technical aspects of server configuration and maintenance. The experts at Media Temple take care of server setup, application installs and updates, performance monitoring, security and support. This is a custom plan and starts at $249 a month.
With Dedicated Hosting (DV Enterprise), Media Temple customers get to choose from bare metal to fully managed servers. The 3 dedicated server plans are:
- Self-Managed Dedicated Server – starting at $2000/mo
- Managed Dedicated Server – starting at $2500/mo
- Fully Managed Dedicated Server – starting at $2699/mo
All their servers come with following:
- Dual-socket multi-core Intel processors
- 128GB of RAM and 1TB of SSD storage
- 10TB monthly bandwidth
- Choice of 64-bit Linux operating system for self managed servers – Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian & CentOS
- Full root access and PowerPanel web interface for self-managed servers
- Choice of Odin Plesk or cPanel for managed dedicated servers
- Unlimited domain hosting capability
Managed WordPress Hosting
Media Temple offers a premium wordpress hosting service which they claim is fully managed by the core wordpress experts. This includes automatic updates of wordpress core and themes, plugins etc., automated daily backups, round-the-clock monitoring, malware scans and fix. This hosting platform is specially optimized for wordpress and hence offers far better performance and reliability. There are 3 managed wordpress hosting plans to choose from:
- Personal – This plan supports up to 2 wordpress installs and 400K monthly visitors and includes 30GB SSD storage. It is priced at $20 per month.
- Studio – This plan comes with 100GB SSD storage and allows 10 websites with total of 2 million monthly visitors. It is available for $60 a month.
- Agency – This plan costs $240/mo and includes 500GB SSD storage and accommodates up to 50 wordpress installs with monthly traffic of 10 million visitors.
All these plans include a free domain name and 1 free SSL for the first year. Just like Grid service, you can get 2 months, 5 months and 9 months of free service respectively when you buy 1 year, 2 year or 3 year plans.
Cloud Hosting on Amazon
Media Temple has also partnered with Amazon to offer fully managed cloud hosting on Amazon AWS. With this service the Media Temple experts design and build AWS cloud architecture for your application and also monitor, maintain, optimize and back it up regularly.
Media Temple WordPress Hosting Features
Here are some important features provided as part of managed wordpress hosting service by MediaTemple:
- Load-Balanced Severs with SSD storage disks
- Free Site Migration & Setup
- 1-click staging and site cloning
- Remote server access via SSH/SFTP
- Git Integration
- PhpMyAdmin access
- Daily Automatic Backups
- 1-click Backup Restore
- Daily Malware scans and free removal (Only Studio and Agency Plans)
- Google Apps for Work (Only Studio and Agency Plans)
- Custom WordPress Themes
- Quick start guides and tutorials
Media Temple Control Panel
Media Temple provides a custom Grid control panel with its shared hosting. This is a very clean, easily navigable and fully responsive control panel interface. From here users have access to all site admin tasks and services, billing management and support center.
The Admin section of the grid control panel leads to sub-sections for handling Email, File Management, Database Management, Server Settings, DNS Settings, Site Statistics & Reporting and other add-on functionality. Customers also have access to 1-click application installs for WordPress, Drupal and ZenCart. For other web apps like Joomla, OS Commerce etc., you will need a manual installation. But, users of VPS hosting have access to over 200+ apps via 1-click install capability.
Media Temple Uptime & Security
Media Temple provides a hardware, network and infrastructure uptime guarantee of 99.999% for its DV products. This is popularly known as DV 20/20 guarantee. In case of any shortfall, they refund customers 20% of monthly hosting fee for each 20 minutes of disruption to service availability. Scheduled and emergency maintenance activity or DDOS attacks are excluded from this guarantee.
To honour such a lofty uptime promise, Media temple ensures that its datacenters are maintained to the highest degree of standards and safety. Media Temple owns 2 datacenters on east and west coasts (Ashburn, VA and El Segundo, CA), both built to Tier IV specifications and connected to each other by a redundant fiber optic connection. These datacenters are equipped with N+2 redundant backup power and cooling systems, 24/7 monitored fire suppression, 24/7 armed security personnel and 48’’raised floors. Additionally a team of network engineers is constantly on guard to monitor the networks against any hacks, botnets or other issues.
The grid infrastructure provided by Media Temple also includes following security features:
- Cloudflare Content Delivery Network (CDN) with Railgun
- Cloudmark spam detection technology
- SiteLock which uses SMART (Secure Malware Alert & Removal Tool) technology
Media Temple lays huge emphasis on serving their customers in the best possible way. Their passion is visible in how they provide customer support service all round the clock through following channels:
- Toll Free Phone number for 24/7/365 telephone support. Also provided are a US number and several international numbers.
- A ticketing system which is accessible by logging into the Account Centre
- Live chat support
- Email support
- Twitter support – the company social media support team is very active and encourages customers to interact via this channel
- Skype Support
- Telephone Support for Sales Inquiries Monday through Friday, 5:30 am to 6:30 pm PST
- Answers to common hosting problems in the form of Support Center
- Knowledgebase with several guides and tutorials, which is regularly updated
- Community forum which is very active with thousands of members and posts
- System Status update on their website
- Premium CloudTech Priority Support for cloud based services where certified sysadmins and engineers handle design, implementation and other technical aspects of your business. This is a paid option.
Money Back Guarantee
All hosting services from Media Temple come with a money-back guarantee. While most services have standard 30 day money back guarantee period but the dedicated server hosting has a smaller window of 7 days. Any setup fee, domain name registration fee, handling fee or cost of service add-ons is non-refundable.
When you cancel your account with Media Temple, the company issues a refund via Paypal or via check or in the form of an in-store credit. For annually billed services, the prorated refund is calculated on the basis of 10 months, since 2 months is provided free by the company for annual plans. Calculations for 2 year and 3 year billed plans are also done on a similar basis by reducing the number of free service months.
|Plan||Diskspace||Bandwidth||Websites Allowed||Google Apps Accounts||Features||Price|
|Personal||20 GB||1 TB||10||1||1 Free Domain, SSL Certificate, 1 Site global CDN, 1 Site malware detection & removal, 2000 GPU compute||$20/mo
|Pro||100 GB||5 TB||50||5||1 Free Domain, SSL Certificate, 5 Sites global CDN, 5 Sites malware detection & removal, 5 Sites web application firewall, 4000 GPU compute||$30/mo
|Agency||100 GB||5 TB||50||5||1 Free Domain, SSL Certificate, 5 Sites global CDN, 5 Sites malware detection & removal, 5 Sites web application firewall, 4000 GPU compute, CloudTech Premium Support||$150/mo
Managed WordPress Hosting
|Plan||Storage||Visitor Traffic||Sites Managed||Google Apps Accounts||Features||Price|
|Personal||30 GB||400K||2||–||1-click Staging, SSH Access, Git, Site Cloning||$20/mo
|Studio||100 GB||2 Million||10||2||1-click Staging, SSH Access, Git, Site Cloning, Malware detection & removal for 5 Sites||$60/mo
|Agency||500 GB||10 Million||50||5||1-click Staging, SSH Access, Git, Site Cloning, Malware detection & removal for 5 Sites||$240/mo
Self Managed VPS Hosting
|Level 1||20 GB SSD||2 TB||2 GB||ProDev API, Parallels Power Panel, Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/CentOS, Perl, Python, YUM or APT, SSH Access||$30/mo
|Level 2||40 GB SSD||3 TB||4 GB||ProDev API, Parallels Power Panel, Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/CentOS, Perl, Python, YUM or APT, SSH Access||$50/mo
|Level 3||80 GB SSD||5 TB||8 GB||ProDev API, Parallels Power Panel, Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/CentOS, Perl, Python, YUM or APT, SSH Access||$100/mo
|Level 4||160 GB SSD||6 TB||16 GB||ProDev API, Parallels Power Panel, Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/CentOS, Perl, Python, YUM or APT, SSH Access||$250/mo
|Level 5||250 GB SSD||7 TB||32 GB||ProDev API, Parallels Power Panel, Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/CentOS, Perl, Python, YUM or APT, SSH Access||$500/mo
|Level 6||500 GB SSD||8 TB||64 GB||ProDev API, Parallels Power Panel, Ubuntu/Fedora/Debian/CentOS, Perl, Python, YUM or APT, SSH Access||$1000/mo
Managed VPS Hosting
|Level 1||30 GB SSD||2 TB||2 GB||Root Access, Plesk/cPanel, Malware Scan & Removal, Daily Backups, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, PostFix, YUM||$55/mo
|Level 2||50 GB SSD||3 TB||4 GB||Root Access, Plesk/cPanel, Malware Scan & Removal, Daily Backups, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, PostFix, YUM||$100/mo
|Level 3||100 GB SSD||5 TB||8 GB||Root Access, Plesk/cPanel, Malware Scan & Removal, Daily Backups, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, PostFix, YUM||$150/mo
|Level 4||200 GB SSD||6 TB||16 GB||Root Access, Plesk/cPanel, Malware Scan & Removal, Daily Backups, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, PostFix, YUM||$350/mo
|Level 5||350 GB SSD||7 TB||32 GB||Root Access, Plesk/cPanel, Malware Scan & Removal, Daily Backups, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, PostFix, YUM||$750/mo
|Level 6||600 GB SSD||8 TB||64 GB||Root Access, Plesk/cPanel, Malware Scan & Removal, Daily Backups, Apache, MySQL/MariaDB, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby, PostFix, YUM||$1500/mo
- Custom Grid Control Panel
- Free Domain Name for 1 year
- Free SSL Certificate for 1 year
- 24/7 expert support
- Staging for WordPress Sites
- 99.999% Uptime Guarantee
- Global CDN
- 30 day File Backup & Restore
- sFTP and SSH access
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
Email & Office
- Webmail Access
- Email Forwarding
- Email Alias
- MailProtect Spam Protection
- Google Apps for Work
- Secure Malware Alert and Removal Tool
- DDoS & Intrusion Protection
- File Backup and Restore
- Anti-Hack Systems
- Spam Prevention
- SSL Certificates
- Code Igniter
- Simple Invoices
- The Bug Genie
- Zen Cart
Databases & Scripts
- PHP with FastCGI
- CGI Access
- 24/7 Telephone Support
- 24/7 Email Support
- CloudTech Premium Support
- 24/7 Live Chat
- 24/7 Twitter Support
- sFTP Access
- File Manager
- Custom Cron Jobs
- Password Protect Folders
- Error Logs
- Bandwidth Usage Report
- Disk Usage Report
- GPU Usage Report
Colossal is moving onto new servers at @mediatemple and into new offices in Chicago's Ravenswood neighborhood starting tomorrow. #pardondust
— Colossal (@Colossal) February 25, 2016
So @mediatemple is having server trouble again.
— Nate Hoffelder (@thDigitalReader) February 25, 2016
@mediatemple Thanks, guys! Manuel was freakin' AWESOME. The chat window closed before I could give him a 5 star feedback rating. 🙂
— Mae Lu (@thereafterish) February 24, 2016
. @mediatemple using your portal/platform makes me feel bad. soul crushingly bad.
— colby (@colby) February 23, 2016
@nadiacosta .@mediatemple has been excellent for me!
— David Walsh (@davidwalshblog) February 18, 2016
Back in Austin (since I'm sure you were wondering). Great day with folks like @tj_stein. @mediatemple with awesome stuff on tap in 2016!
— Colin Dowling (@colindowling) February 18, 2016
thanks @mediatemplehelp, but haven't had botched (paid) migration issues resolved yet. we're @mediatemple clients for a decade. frustrated
— ron smith (@stuart_wagner) February 15, 2016
@matt_koon yes. Been using @mediatemple for years. Great support and WP options are numerous.
— Andrew B. Clark (@TheBrandChef) February 12, 2016
@mediatemple s/o Brian P for his clear, concise and human approach to support. Very impressed.
— Michael Imperial (@michaelimperial) February 11, 2016
.@mediatemple @mediatemplehelp A shoutout to Saul, Keisha, and David. Thanks for the awesome support!
— juliuslopezcompany (@juliuslopezco) February 10, 2016
@matt_koon Thanks! That was shared via @mediatemple great UX and great design
— Andrew B. Clark (@TheBrandChef) February 10, 2016
@mediatemple Thank you. Having a terrible time trying to set up email. Outlook 2016 keeps throwing an error about your security certificate
— DVH Design (@dvhdesignuk) February 4, 2016
Everytime I log into my @mediatemple account on FTP I find hacked PHP files/WP installs. Great security guys
— Zachary Feldman (@zachfeldman) February 9, 2016
Sorry my site is down guys! Just got featured on CGSociety too…. @mediatemple hosting is having some big problems with their databases….
— Eric Hu (@Rinthe) February 3, 2016
Uptime in January: 100%
I’d say that’s pretty good.
Cheers @mediatemple !
— Atle Mo (@subtlepattern) February 3, 2016
After 9+ years I’m moving away from MediaTemple
— Atanas Mahony (@amahony) February 1, 2016
@mediaTemple You need to give AliceR a big raise.She gave the best,most helpful, support ticket answer I've had yet. You need more like her
— DomainShane.com (@DomainShane) February 1, 2016
@iblueskytravel ugh. WordPress optimised, it's been so far so good for me. I have a friend who swears by @mediatemple though.
— Lindsey Parry (@ArabianNotesAD) January 30, 2016
Three days running, and @mediatemple still hasn't fixed the problem. (req# 3750446)
— Nate Hoffelder (@thDigitalReader) January 28, 2016
Happy Hour Bound w/ my @mediatemple crew ????
— A.LaShane (@AngoraLaShane) January 30, 2016
@tduubq now I use @EuroDNS, I'm quite happy with it. For hosting I use @mediatemple ??
— Philippe HONG (@philippehong) January 28, 2016
@dsmoore @mediatemple i just had to transfer ownership of an old domain i managed. worst experience everrrrrrrrrrrrr.
— dc (@pulsetrain) January 25, 2016
@dlayphoto @mediatemple For real. Old, neglected blogs die hard, apparently. But they restored them!
— Sarah Gerrity (@gurrity) January 25, 2016
@nayar_amit Thanks for the shoutout! Would love to connect and see how @builtinla and @mediatemple can team up
— Mike Sharifi (@MikeBuiltInLA) January 28, 2016
Very impressed with @mediatemple service
— Kenneth Gray (@kenneth_gray) January 27, 2016
@mediatemple I am your customer for many years and I love your customer service. ( spanish )
— Dennis J. Meyer (@cuvoox) January 26, 2016
Pretty disappointed that @mediatemple now only offers grid hosting with email through Google Apps. Lost my recommendation to clients.
— Randall P. Jenkins (@randallpjenkins) January 22, 2016
@MissKrisSxSW @mediatemple @StubbsAustin Aww thank you! We try really hard to make sure everyone enjoys it.
— Lilly Crick (@freelilly) January 22, 2016
@mediatemple As long as you don't cutoff access to my blog I'll be happy. Maybe we can have one of these exchanges every 90 days, Cheers
— Stephen Wickens (@StephenWickens1) January 25, 2016
@mediatemple great thanks!
— keith evans (@kedc13) January 25, 2016
Terrible service from @mediatemple. Shocked really. I remember the days they used to give out free tees, now it's all computer says no. Bye.
— Chris Berridge (@chris_berridge) January 20, 2016
@mediatemple Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply – Rob
— Robert Paterson (@robpatrob) January 25, 2016
@jessefreeman the good news is I rarely have to pay @mediatemple because their downtime violates SLA!
— Chris Deely (@chrisdeely) January 22, 2016
The @mediatemple support used to be great, but now it feels like a bunch of bots directing you to some KB article you have already read.
— Cuducos (@cuducos) January 22, 2016
Shout out again to Eddie J @mediatemple I was able to fix all of my issues from your helpful advice! #happycustomer
— Mom's Bistro (@momsbistro) January 22, 2016
@mediatemple has the BEST customer service ever! Thanks for all your help Eddie J #HappyCustomer
— Mom's Bistro (@momsbistro) January 20, 2016
So glad to cut the cord with @mediatemple. Choose another platform for your @wordpress hosting needs and save yourself the headache. #fail
— Robert Yang (@robyang) January 14, 2016
Thank you @mediatemple for outstanding support with migrating my website. Agents were informed and offered thorough resolutions. Awesome.
— Elaine Stam (@ElaineStam) January 13, 2016
@hostmarks Media Temple really is the best! Their customer service is incredible! A+++ @mediatemple you rock!
— Mom's Bistro (@momsbistro) January 13, 2016
@mediatemple Most excellent. Thank you. I am seriously considering moving my sites to Media Temple.
— Matt Maldre (@mattmaldre) January 10, 2016
@mediatemple I'm so unsatisfied with your services. I pay high price for crap.
— Jake Gevorgian (@PaloArte) January 5, 2016
@mediatemple Just wanted to let you know that Julian from your Support Centre has been extremely helpful to us today – brilliant service.
— Aerogramme Writers (@A_WritersStudio) January 7, 2016
Dear @mediatemple – thanks for making things which other people seem to make ridiculously difficult, really easy.
— Caroline Roberts (@Copyright_RGD) January 2, 2016
@benjaminsobieck I use mediatemple. It costs me $30 a month.
— Nate Hoffelder (@thDigitalReader) January 2, 2016
@docky I use mediatemple. They're basically fine!
— Terry (@terrycavanagh) January 1, 2016
@rkudeshi just poor customer ser. the attitude has been more of something I would expect from a cheaper hosting company not @mediatemple
— Priyank Vira (@priyankvira) December 30, 2015
@clover Without hesitation I'm moving to MediaTemple.
— Will McAdams (@anactofwill) December 29, 2015
@clover The products are great (uptime has been 100% for months minus 1min downtime last month) and service is exceptional at @mediatemple
— Michael Votto (@mrvotto) December 28, 2015
.@tbwhs in the last 2 years @mediatemple kept its promises, upheld its values, delivered amazing support.
— No Blue Creative (@NoblueCreative) December 24, 2015